Getting Your DD-214

DD-214 Certificate of Discharge
  Reading time 7 minutes

Getting Your DD-214

Option 1 – If you are a recently separated veteran (2010-present), records can be found online via the VA eBenefits portal.

Option 2 – Use the eVetRecs system to create your request.

Option 3 – Mail or Fax a Standard Form SF-180

Send by Mail
The National Personnel Records Center’s mailing address is:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Send by Fax
Their fax number for requesting military records is 314-801-9195. Although fax IS faster, the NPRC will respond in writing only by U.S. snail mail, and that would include any problems that they may encounter – all of which increases the length of time the NPRC takes to deliver your DD214.

Option 4 – Call HQMC at Quantico > Separation & Retirement Branch – HQMC (703) 784-9306 / 9307

Option 5Marine Online (You MUST have a CAC)  – I have a CAC and I tried to register and I was denied access, required SSN, PEBD, and DOB and I was denied, so chances are this resource will not work for you. Way to screw this one up Marine Corps.

Option 6 – NPRC

Option 7 – Defence Personnel Records Information (DPRIS) 

  1. From your signed-in homepage, click or tap on Correspondence/ Documentation. Then select Defense Personnel Records Information (DPRIS) from the drop-down menu.
  2. Choose the Personnel File tab.
    Select Request My Personnel File.
  3. Fill out the form. In the Document Index section, check the boxes next to the document(s) you’d like to request.
    Click or tap on the Create and Send Request button.

Option 8 – The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s online at:

Option 9 – VA Regional Office 

There are a handful of websites that claim to help, but are NOT official and may be a rip-off, be aware

Any former Marines who are released prior to 1999 wanting copies of their service records or DD Form 214 or any other service record documents must write to the following address:

Navy Personnel Command Pers-312D2
Room 5409
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO  63132
Telephone:  (314) 592-1150, 4009, 4085, or 4086

Marines requesting a copy of their service record, DD 214, or any other documents who were discharged from the Marine Corps after 1999 must write to MMSB at the following address:

Headquarters US Marine Corps
Manpower Management Support Branch (MMSB-10)
2008 Elliot Road, Suite 205
Quantico, VA 22134-5030
Tele: 1-800-268-3710

Marines wanting a copy of their medical records must write to the following address:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Records Management Center
P.O. Box 5020
St. Louis, MO 63155
Tele: 314-538-4500

1950 to current – DD Form 214
1945-1949 – NAVMC 78PD
Prior to 1945 – Only a letter was given to the Marine signifying service

How Long Does It Take?
You will receive your DD-214 from the Archives in about three to four weeks.

However, there is a process to expedite delivery (usually 1-5 days) for things like a funeral, surgery, etc…

If the reason you need the DD-214 is for burial at a Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery, contact the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 800-535-1117 or visit the  National Cemetery Administration website. They will work directly with the Archives to obtain the records necessary.

Otherwise, download the paper form and state the nature of the emergency in the “Purpose” section. Fax the form to the Archive Customer Service Team at (314) 801-0764. The next morning, around 7 am Central time, call the Customer Service Team at (314) 801-0800. That line can be very very busy later in the day.

The request must be signed by the next of kin and be accompanied by a death certificate, published obituary, or letter from a funeral home.

If the above isn’t fast enough for you, or you don’t qualify for the above, there is a company that will gladly take your money to move the process along on your behalf.

Guns For Hire
The Aardvark Research Group will help you obtain it within a day or so, for $89. They are a legit company and they are “A+” rated by the Better Business Bureau. It helps that they are located very close to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.

**NOTE** I’m not endorsing this service, I have never used them before and I’m not getting paid to mention them in my posts

Touchstone Research Group will help you obtain it within a day or so, for $119 (for same-day service). They are a legit company and they are rated as a D+ by the Better Business Bureau.

**NOTE** I’m not endorsing this service, I have never used them before and I’m not getting paid to mention them in my posts


Important things to remember – in 1973, there was a huge fire where the military records were stored. When I’m talking fire, I mean, fire with total destruction.

You can see more images of the destruction at the bottom (slide show) of this page.

Records destroyed by fire

What records are there (National Military Personnel Record Archives (NPRC) )?

U.S. Air Force 1947-2004  – Records from 1947-1963 (Hubbard –Z) were impacted by the 1973 fire.
U.S. Army 1912-2002 – Records from 1912-1959 were impacted by the 1973 fire
U.S. Coast Guard 1898-2008
U.S. Marine Corps 1905-1998
U.S. Navy 1886-1994

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.