Stress Management / Taking a Chill Pill
Stress Management for most men can be very difficult, and that is largely due to the way men see themselves in society. Men aren’t supposed to cry it isn’t manly. The man is supposed to provide for his family, the man is supposed to protect his family, the man is, well you get where I’m going, and every one of those “The man is supposed to” adds stress onto the man.
I know that women have many stressors too, but women can do things that most men can’t or won’t. It is acceptable in today’s world for a woman, to go and get a massage, get a Mani/Pedi, take a long hot bubble bath, or go to a health spa. All those things are relaxing, but most men would not be well accepted doing those things. This means that most men don’t have a healthy outlet to destress. Some men find Golf or Fishing relaxing, for me, I don’t get any enjoyment out of either of those things and I’m not alone.
How to Manage Stress
The first thing you need to do is admit that you are stressed and then identify what is stressful. Try to avoid those stressors, which is easier said than done. I know for me, I love my job, but it is also a huge source of stress for me. I love my family, but sometimes that can be a large stressor for me. I find my health is the biggest stressor for me. I’m not going to dwell on my health for too much, that is covered under the medical section of my blog and most of you don’t have my medical issues so that is a stressor you don’t have.
How to Decompress
Once you have identified the sources of your stress, you need to determine how to lessen the stress that they produce for you. I recently discovered meditation and I have always been a huge doubter, but it does actually work. But just because it works for me, doesn’t mean it will work for you. Some of the top ways to decompress are:
1. Take a walk /jog/run – Depending on where you take your walk/run, the view alone might be enough to take off some of the stress. For me, I find the fresh air helps me to decompress
2. Exercise – This is a difficult one for me as I’m often too fatigued to get too much of an exercise routine happening. But for many, this is a great way to relieve stress.
3. Sex – This is probably a favorite for many people, it is also one of the best ways to relieve stress
4. Meditate – I started meditating last year. It took me some time to figure it out and get it right, but now, a quick 8-minute session does wonders for me.
5. Read – I’m not a big reader, but for many getting lost in a book is an awesome way to decompress
6. Disconnect – Turn off the computer, turn off the phone, click off the TV and enjoy the peace and quiet.
7. Take a day off – We all need some time off, I mean that is why your employer gives you leave, right?
8. Take a nap – a 30-minute nap can feel like a total reset for many people. Avoid going over an hour or you will likely make it difficult to fall asleep at bedtime.
9. Swim – I love to go swimming, but I don’t have ready access to a swimming pool. But if you are fortunate enough to have access, then enjoy a nice swim to relax.
10. Go Outdoors – For many, including me, going outside and enjoying the great outdoors can really relax and center me.
Bonus – Enjoy a hobby – I like collecting coins and photography. If you have a hobby that relaxes you, then make some time to enjoy it.